Friday, June 8, 2012

Book Expo 2012 ~ Childrens Selections

I have the wonderful opportunity, due to my job, of attending Book Expo America(BEA), the Book industries largest publishing event. This year there was quite a lot of offerings for children & I was truly excited! Here's a small snip of great things I learned about...
Point to Happy, from Workman Publishers,is a wonderful picture book for children on the austism spectrum or for any late talkers! 

"Conceived of, written, and designed for children on the autism spectrum, Point to Happy combines a picture book and a pointer to create a breakthrough in reaching children who communicate best through pictures. Ingenious in its simplicity, it was created by a grandmother, Miriam Smith, and mother, Afton Fraser, for Ms Fraser’s son, a young boy on the autism spectrum. "

The Publisher's lovely Representative filled me in on a new product for children made out of Dupont's Tyvek materials (the USPS uses this material for some of its envelopes. Or, perhaps you have used it on the outside of your house for construction?) It can be thrown in the washing machine, etc. & stands up to the grubbiest hands & wettest little mouths!

Workman Publishers is also known for their wonderful Sandra Boynton books for children! 
Then I met Hector "by" & Steve Barnes (from Mandala Publishing's Earth Aware Editions):

"Meet "zebrapotamus" Hector. He's not like the other hippos in the jungle. His unusual black-and-white striped skin makes him the target of hurtful teasing from the other hippos on the riverbank. But when a chance encounter opens Hector's eyes to true friendship, he begins to appreciate qualities of character he never knew he had. And when dangerous circumstances put him to the test, he proves just how powerful kindness can be.

Beautifully illustrated in rich watercolors, this poignant story underscores the values of forgiveness and respect for differences, and the need to see beyond external appearances-important messages for young minds growing up in a globally aware era."

And he took my heart! Steve Barnes was an extremely nice man & his book his beautiful. Gabriel hugged it!!!

But I was utterly excited to exclaim my & Gabriel's love to Mo Willems... And Mo was all too happy to create a special little illustration for my special boy:
Mr. Mo was signing his new book, The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? This is SURE to become our favorite new story!!! "He has whined, wheedled, fibbed and hollered his way through many books. He wanted to drive the bus, he demanded a puppy, he pleaded for a hot dog party... But now, in a fantastic new title from Mo Willems, along comes Duckling, with bright twinkling eyes and impeccable manners. She asks for a cookie and what does she get? A cookie, of course! The Pigeon is outraged! Incensed! How could this have happened? HOW is it possible that this duckling gets a cookie?! Well, because she asked. Nicely."
So many great children offerings at the Book Expo! Along with these great finds, American Girl had its new "girl of the year" book too:
McKenna. I got a copy for a friend's girl!

And the Young Adult offerings were amazing. Sonia Manzano, (maybe best known as Maria from Sesame Street) was signing her new YA, The Revolution of Evelyn Serrano:  
It is 1969 in Spanish Harlem, and fourteen-year-old Evelyn Serrano is trying hard to break free from her conservative Puerto Rican surroundings, but when her activist grandmother comes to stay and the neighborhood protests start, things get a lot more complicated--and dangerous.
I was ecstatic to meet her, tell SONIA my love, & now Gabriel's love for Maria... And I am so eager to read this one!

Not mention some of the great items I picked up also for me- some Good reads!!! I'll blog about a couple of them on my food blog, DeLish

I had a great time at BEA 2012!
<3 Lishie & Gabriel

Visit my Food Blog: DeLish

No comments:

Post a Comment